Insurance is a key component to a trucking organization’s success but it can also be one of the most complicated aspects of business ownership. Having an experienced and knowledgeable agent to help you navigate coverages and design a customized risk management program for your business is one of the smartest ways to protect your assets. When you receive a call from an insurance agent requesting the opportunity to quote your business, save yourself some time, weed out the novices and find those worth having a conversation with by asking them these five questions:
- How long have you been insuring truckers? They say that good judgment comes from experience and experience comes from bad judgment. One thing is for sure, experience matters. Don't let a rookie agent practice on you.
- How many transportation companies do you presently insure? This is key. With experience and volume of business comes the expertise you are looking for in a trucking insurance agent.
- Can you help me with my safety and compliance? It’s not just about moving freight; it’s about moving freight safely. Your agent must offer you safety and compliance services and not just pass you onto the insurance company for this vital aspect of your operation.
- How many direct appointments does your agency hold with specialty trucking insurance companies? There are not many insurance carriers who specialize in trucking. Only the top trucking agents represent multiple specialty carriers. You’re looking for the agent who can bring as much to the table as possible.
- Will you promise to deliver my quote on the date that I request it? If you let the agent string you out to the last minute, they are serving their strategic interests, not yours. It’s a game. Don’t let them play you. It is reasonable to demand your numbers a week or more before the expiration of your policy.
How long does it take your agency to deliver a certificate of insurance to one of my certificate holders? Nothing is a more important measure of good service than this. If the certificate is not timely, you can miss out on getting a load, lose revenue and have an unhappy customer.
The AssuredPartners Transportation experts not only know the difference between a fifth-wheel and a steering-wheel, we understand how important proper service is to the bottom line of our motor-carrier clients. We are in the business of developing strong, lasting relationships built on trust that we earn day in and day out by collaborating with you as partners. Together we find the best new innovative solutions to fulfill your specific needs and promote your success – now and for the future. It’s what we call power through partnership. To learn more about our services, visit AssuredPartners Transportation or contact our transportation team of specialists.